PPE Information

Luckily for you we stock everything you would need to be compliant - but as a brief guide please have a look as to what you need to make the process as easy as possible. 

Pesticides can cause skin and respiratory problems. If you spray pesticides you must be trained and competent to do the work. If you were born after 31 December 1964 or you will be spraying as a commercial service, you must hold the appropriate Certificate of Competence National Proficiency Tests Council (NPTC) or Scottish Skills Testing Service (SSTS), unless you are under the direct and personal supervision of a person who holds such a certificate.

If you were born before 31 December 1964 and you work on your own or your employer's land, you need to be able to demonstrate competence and show proof of appropriate training.

Personal Protective Equipment or PPE is legally required when spraying. 

This includes :

  • Protective bib / apron
  • protective elbow-length gloves, or wrist-length gloves (Nitrile, minimum 0.5 mm thickness, complying with EN 374) with cuffs inside protective (plastic) elasticated elbow-length sleevelets; or
  • A suitable two-piece suit  and brace overall 
  • safety wellingtons or water-repellent boots with a good grip (complying with BS EN ISO 20345:2004), to be worn inside trouser legs.
  • Face mask with chin guard

At the end of each work period:

  • Thoroughly wash the outsides of gloves in soap and water and wipe off surplus moisture
  • Thoroughly wash down the overall/suit
  • Remove protective clothing in the correct order
  • Thoroughly wash hands in soap and water and dry well.
  • Throw away any damaged clothing


To find out more and see the latest requirements please contact HSE or have a look on http://www.hse.gov.uk/treework/areyou/sprayer.htm